Wednesday 6 May 2015

It's been sixteen glorious months

It really has been glorious! It has been fifteen months since I did a taxable days work.  Granted, three of them months were spent trying to prevent my pelvis from splitting in two, two of them days was spent pushing a tiny human through a tinier hole and one more month was spent in a flurry of hormones and lady aches.  But, nonetheless, it's been sixteen months.

It's the first time since I began working back in the 90's in Roches Stores that I have not been on a taxable job. I say a taxable job because, while I have been untaxed, I can promise you I have never worked as hard in my life! Or being as rewarded for my work either.  But I digress...

I have had the privilege of being at home for all this time with my little love. I have had the honor of spending the last thirteen months being the one to watch my little one grow and change from this floppy headed, screaming, puking bundle to a hilariously entertaining, walking, babbling toddler. And my God can she babble.  From the moment she opens her eyes until she closes them, gooble-dee-gook all day. Think she gets the chatterbox head from her Dad. 

But the time has come. I am ready to return to the work place and have, happily, secured myself a position.  It is quiet the ideal position. Part time to begin with, four mornings a week and one full day, until the end of the year. Then full time from there. It'll be grand to ease myself back into the work place. And of course ease herself into creche life. I am both excited and nervous at the thought of returning to work.  My head has been all about Mama life for the last fifteen months. I have enjoyed it so much. Not worrying about deadlines and reports and meetings and only concerned with food, nappies, sleep routines, feeding routines, temperatures, vomiting, pooh-ing, washing, cleaning, cooking... sure it'll be like a holiday going back to work! 

One of the things I am most looking forward to is coffee breaks and lunches.  Imagine! Being able to finish a cup of coffee before it goes cold and grey. And lunch! A whole meal without anyone wanting to eat what I am eating and the only one likely to destroy me with the contents of it is me! I am most excited about this!!! 

In preparation for my return to work, I have decided to  take on the challenge of a bit of study. And by a bit of study I actually mean a FETAC Level 6 Diploma in Event Management. And as I do love a challenge, I have signed up to completing the studying and submission of assessments for this course by 30 June 2015. So, given that I can calm the temper tantrum of a one year old as she fights with the lid of her toy teapot for not opening far enough, completion of this course will be a piece of cake!

Delightfully, and in wonderful timing fashion, my little Dolly decided that last Friday was the day she was going to start walking sort of independently.  She took off with a little walker thing like a bat out of hell and my once nervous nelly is now so confident it is bordering on cocky.  She is now walking along furniture, moving between furniture, walking along walls. 

Basically, we are screwed! We need stair gates and plug blockers (in another life I could have made a very rude comment here), lift everything that is at tiny human height and bolt anything that moves to the floor or wall. I've already lost a beautiful vase... but that was probably more to my cleaning abilities than the child. So it's all go in the McCarthy household! 

No comments:

Post a Comment